14TH September, 2020 In view of the
How To Obtain License
PROCEDURE OF OBTAINING A BROADCAST LICENCE
PROCEDURE FOR LICENCE
- A letter addressed to the Director General of the National Broadcasting Commission requesting for approval to purchase an application form indicating the category of licence and the proposed location (this is to avoid a situation where an application form is purchased in a location where there are no frequencies or channels, as the case may be).
- If the request is approved, the person would be required to purchase an application form from the Commission at the cost of Fifty Thousand Naira (N50,000) duly complete same and return with:
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Certified copy of the Company’s Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Engineering design of the system including feasibility study
- A letter of undertaking under section 9 (I) (d) of the NBC Act No. 38 of 1992 (as amended).
- A letter of reference from the Company’s Bankers.
The application would be processed and if found to be in conformity with the requirements of the NBC Act, are recommended to the President, C-in-C through the Hon. Minister of Information & Culture for the grant of Radio and Television Broadcast Licences while Direct-To-Home (DTH) and Direct Satellite Broadcast (DSB) licences which do not require Presidential approval are granted by the Commission.
After the licence is granted, the Company would be required to pay the licence fee for an initial term of five years in the first instance, subject to renewal, the licence fee for an initial term of five years is:
1.1 CATEGORY A: Any location in the FCT, Lagos and Rivers State:
Radio Open TV Cable TV
N20 million N15 million N10 million
1.2 CATEGORY B: Any location in all other states:
Radio Open TV Cable TV
N15 million N11.25 million N7.5 million
- Public Stations: N5.0 million for 5 years or N1.0 million per Television or Radio Channel per annum for 5 years
- Renewal fee for cable – Satellite Television (MMDS):
- a) Category A –FCT, LAGOS and PORT HARCOURT = = Five Million for Five years
- b) CATEGORY B: Any location in all other states:
N4 million for 5 years
- Direct Broadcast Satellite: (Single Channel):
New and Renewal: N10 million for 5 years.
- Direct-to-Home (DTH) (Multichannel)
New: N25 million for 5 years
Renewal: N50 million for 5 years (with effect from May 19, 2005).
6 Dealer (Wholesaler): N120,000.00 per annum
- Importer (Wholesaler): N120,000.00 per annum
- Retailer N30,000.00 per annum
- Others: % of income: 2½ of income
10. Application form: N50,000.00 per set.
In considering an application for a broadcast licence under the NBC Act, the Commission must certify that the applicant:
- Is a body corporate registered under the Companies and Allied matters Act or a station owned, established or operated by the Federal, State or Local Government
- Can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Commission that he is not applying on behalf of any foreign interest
- Can comply with the objectives of the National Mass Communication Policy as is applicable to the electronic media, that is radio and television
- Can give an understanding that the licenced station shall be used to promote National interest, unity and cohesion and that it shall not be used to offend the religious sensibilities or promote ethnicity, sectionalism, hatred and disaffection among the people.