14TH September, 2020 In view of the
DIRECTORATE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
The Directorate of Engineering and Technology is made up of Five Units:
- Spectrum and Licensing Unit
- Monitoring and Telecommunication Equipment Unit
- Mobile Monitoring Unit
- Computer Support and IT Unit
- Ancillary Services Unit
FUNCTIONS OF DIRECTORATE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
- Broadcast spectrum management, planning and assignment
- Technical processing of applications for ownership and operation of Radio, Television and Cable broadcasting services
- Monitoring broadcasting for harmful emission, interference and illegal broadcasting
- Approving the transmitter power, the location of stations, coverage areas as well as regulate types of broadcast equipment to be used
- Frequency coordination and updating of frequency Assignment Register
- Processing of applications for broadcast Licence
- Technical standard specifications and equipment authorization
- Spectrum control (Enforcement, inspection and monitoring).
- Liaison and consultation with other spectrum management agencies
- Spectrum engineering support
- T support
- Installation and maintenance of broadcast equipment in the NBC offices across the country.
- Installation and maintenance of communication equipment e. g. telephones (fixed or mobile)
- Provision and maintenance of broadcast signals for monitoring purposes.
- Provision of ancillary support in NBC headquarters and zones
- Supervision of Commission’s on-going projects
- In-house Training
- Specify and evaluate Set-Top-Box spec for manufacturers and vendors
- Define specifications for broadcast signal Distributors
- Represent the Commission in ITU WRC events and agendas
- Inter-agency collaborations on regulatory policies.
- Develop and submit iteration data to ITU in accordance with Ge06 plan modification.
Spectrum & Licensing Unit
- Management, Planning and re-planning and assignment of broadcast frequency
- Technical inspection visits to broadcast stations, including pre-commissioning inspection.
- Monitoring of transmission parameters of stations to ensure compliance with set standards.
- Technical assessment of submitted applications for the grant of broadcast Licence
- Representing the Commission at National and International meetings and conferences
Monitoring and Telecommunication Equipment Unit
- Multiplexing, amplification and redistribution of broadcast signals for monitoring within the offices in the NBC Headquarters office, zonal offices and state offices
- Liaison with broadcast operators to ensure that their signals are available to the Commission for monitoring.
- Liaison with telecommunication gadgets provider for supply, operations and maintenance of facilities provided by them to the Commission.
Mobile Monitoring Unit
- Operation and Maintenance of the Mobile Monitoring Vans
- Monitoring the air-waves to ensure compliance with broadcast technical standards
- Operation and maintenance of IT-based spectrum monitoring tools for broadcast signals.
Computer Support and IT Unit
- Provide support for an active and functional NBC website.
- Provision and maintenance of computer systems and accessories for the Commission’s staff.
- Liaison with Internet & photocopiers services providers for the provision and maintenance of the facilities provided by them to the Commission
- Supervision of IT-based projects.
Ancillary Services Unit
- Ensuring that the electrical fittings and appliance in the Commission are in perfect working condition.
- Installation and maintenance of telephone terminals in the Commission
- Installation and maintenance of PABX system in the Headquarters and zonal offices.
- Installation and maintenance of generators in the NBC Headquarters, zonal offices, and state offices to provide backup power supply
- Ensures constant availability of power supply and water supply